Proven leadership driving solution delivery
Tom Phelps is a Managing Partner with Columbus Consulting focused on Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) solutions, including budgeting, planning, reporting, and financial consolidation strategies; process improvement; and the implementation of supporting technologies. Tom’s 25+ years expertise in the performance management space over has been developed through experience gained working with over 150 organizations primarily within the finance and operational functions. The results have helped clients drive profitable growth, controls risk, and create greater visibility into business performance.
- Design comprehensive Enterprise Performance Management solutions and directs operational change management and continuous process improvement, strategic planning, forecasting, monitoring, and reporting initiatives for global corporate clients.
- Deliver value-based Performance Management solutions that support and change organizations’ Sales, Finance, Operations, and IT operational performance.
- EPM assessment, visioning, roadmap and business case development for numerous organizations including: a large consumer products manufacturer, a global retailer, and $8b software company.
- Implementation of an enterprise-wide financial planning program which integrated corporate planning (budgeting and forecasting) with workforce planning and store level profit planning, to streamline the budget and forecast process, while providing improved insight, analysis, collaboration and accountability.
- Defined process and implemented the enabling technology for a marketing promotional planning and reporting solution which provides consistent measurement of promotional campaigns across brands and categories resulting in quantifiable insight into how investments were driving performance.
- To support a specialty retailer’s business transformation, created an integrated planning process that links business functions (Finance, Merchandise, Store Operations, and Ecommerce) which guides business operations, resulting in one plan for the organization to achieve. Established cross functional performance metrics and standardized on a unified technology platform.
- Worked with Kaplan & Norton, the founders of the Balanced Scorecard strategic management system, to assist clients in creating a framework to link strategy to operational execution.
- For several clients, facilitated the evaluation and technology selection process for an EPM platform.